about the Wolfram System Modeler as a Teaching tool‏

הודעות לכל חברי הסגל של המחלקה
כללי הפורום
אם אתם מעונינים לקבל התראות דוא"ל לחצו על הקישור "הרשם לקבלת עדכונים מנושא זה" בתחתית העמוד (שימו לב - האופציה מופיעה רק אם אתם מחוברים). אין לפרסם כאן הודעות ללא אישור מפורש של משרד הפיסיקה. נחסמה הגישה לתגובות על מנת למנוע אינפלצית התראות.
שלח תגובה
physics
הודעות: 2313
הצטרף: 14:40 06/05/2007

about the Wolfram System Modeler as a Teaching tool‏

שליחה על ידי physics » 12:24 11/08/2013

Dear Referent!

Please forward this letter to all your academic staff members.

Using Wolfram System Modeler as a Teaching aid in the Faculty of Engineering Sciences

Dear All,

In summer 2012 I first encountered a software tool called Wolfram SystemModeler, that is based on the Modelica language to describe their physical properties. Its name fully represents its purpose: system modeling. It can easily model linear and non-linear, discrete and continuous time systems, that can be described at the component level or the block/schematic level. The simple user (a student in our case) need not to program at all and learning how to use it is rather intuitive. All the operations are accessible using mouse clicks and dragging components from included visual component libraries.

I didn’t grasp its full potential as a teaching tool until the presentation given in our university last May. As our ability to let the students experiment and explore using laboratories is very limited, I find that this tool is excellent for conducting "computer based" laboratories. In addition, the lecturer can update/ modify the set of explored system rather easily and refresh the content. This is very difficult with "ordinary" laboratories.

Based on my personal understanding I find that the can be used at least in the following list of courses:

1. Electrical circuits – both linear and non-linear (EE, CSE, ME, IE)

2. Linear systems (EE, ME, CSE, IE)

3. Analog electronic circuits (EE, ME)

4. Digital electronic circuits (EE)

5. Linear control (EE, ME, IE)

6. Non-linear control (EE, ME, IE)

7. Optimal Control (with the aid of Mathematica) – (EE, ME)

8. Dynamic systems (EE, ME, IE)

9. Introduction to communication theory and systems (EE, CSE)

10. Analog communication (EE, CSE)

11. Analog computers (as a demonstration tool) – (EE, ME, IE)

12. Mechatronics (ME)

13. Robotics (EE, ME, IE)

14. System that combines hydraulics, fluids, cooling, electrical/electronic components, etc. (ME, IE, EE)

15. State flow diagrams (IE, ME, EE)

16. Chemical reactions, chemical processes (CE)

17. Sensitivity analysis for all the list above

In addition, the tool is not expensive. Three departments need to require it so it will be purchased from the budget of BGU’s computation center. At the moment the departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Communication Systems Engineering already expressed their will to use it. We hope that at least one faculty member in one additional course will agree to join forces with us.

Sincerely

Yehuda Ben-Shimol, CSE

שלח תגובה

חזור אל “הודעות כלליות”